Saturday 20 September 2014

Street Child - Diary entry

In Year 5 we have been reading 'Street Child' by Berlie Doherty. We have written diary entries from Jim Jarvis, a Victorian child, who has suffered a series of unfortunate events and is now being forced to live in the workhouse. 


Thursday, 18th December 1865
Pimlico, London

Dear my cherished and beloved diary,

            I am exceptionally distraught. Terror surrounds my soul like a pack of ravenous wolves. My hope is slowly deceasing and transforming into horror and fear. Happiness has been trapped with long lost memories, desperate to return. Unfortunately, we have been evicted from our only shelter. Why was our landlord so heartless and cruel? Will we ever escape this misery?

            Standing outside the workhouse doors, I was petrified. My legs were like jelly, uncontrollably shaking. All joyful memories of times with my father and sisters are now locked away in my heart. Is this the end? Will my feeble body be able to survive the treacherous, hard workhouse conditions? As I think of my doomed future, I fill with dread. Are all of the terrifying stories true? It is really going to be hell on earth?

            The wailings of the mad people and the yelps of the innocent orphans being whipped fill my ears. I can hear the scraping of cutlery as starving children eat every last scrap of food off their plates. The innocent and frightened faces stare at me through the barred windows as the colossal iron gates get whipped in the wind like the poor, innocent orphans.

            If I survive tonight I will write to you tomorrow diary,

                                                           
                                                 Jim Jarvis

Josie, 5C

1 comment:

  1. We really enjoyed reading you diary entry Josie! We can see that you have used a lot of writing techniques here, we particularly liked how you chose your vocabulary with care. Furthermore, we thought that you used rhetorical questions really effectively throughout your writing.

    Your next step for this piece could be to uplevel your punctuation by including brackets and ellipsis.

    Well done again!!

    6B :)

    ReplyDelete